Being active on social media is an important part of marketing yourself as an author and building an author platform, and what better than to use GoodReads, a social media site for readers and authors specifically! Here are just a few of the benefits of using GoodReads as an author:
1. Author profile
- The most important part of being an author on GoodReads is to get an author profile! To do this, you must first make a basic GoodReads account if you don't have one already. Then, if your book (or multiple books) is in their database already, you can claim yourself as the author. If not, you'll need to complete a form with all of the details of the book. Once it gets approved into the database within a few days, you'll be able to do the same and claim yourself as the author. From there, complete the author profile with as much of the information as you would like to share. After all of this, you'll be able to market yourself on GoodReads with some of the below ideas.
- Everyone likes free books! According to the GoodReads website, 825 people on average enter win each book giveaway. They say the most successful book giveaways last a month and it is best to offer away ten books. That said, even those who don't win the giveaway are more likely to purchase and read your book because if they entered to win a free copy, that means they probably want to read it!
3. Connecting with readers/authors
- Whether you join a GoodReads group or create one yourself, groups are a great way to connect and talk with other authors in a forum-like setting. With an Author Profile, you'll be able to create a Featured Authors Group where you can talk to fans of your work. They'll have the chance to ask you questions and you can promote and spark interest in your upcoming work!
4. Self-serve advertising
- With advertising on GoodReads, you can target an audience and even specify which genres to target as well. Running advertising while doing a book giveaway can lead to even more entries.